Bacon Hash Brown Casserole
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Thaw hash browns for 30 minutes.
- While hash browns are thawing, prepare the bacon: Using clean scissors, cut the bacon into thin strips horizontally. Fry until crispy or desired doneness. (The scissor method saves the hassle of trying to crumble the bacon after it is cooked.).
- In a large bowl, mix together soup & sour cream & salt and pepper.
- Add melted margarine & mix well.
- Add the cheese & bacon and then the hash browns. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Spread mixture into 9 X 13 pan, lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
I puréed the cooked bacon with cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, onion, tricolored bell peppers, shredded cheese, Philadelphia cream cheese, added garlic, pepper and salt to taste. once this was all puréed together I poured it over my hash browns cubed style. Mixed well and placed in my casserole dish then cover with shredded cheese and covered with foil. Baked 45 minutes then uncovered and baked the last 15 minutes on convection to brown the top! Perfect dish ready to take for thanksgiving dinner
Great recipe! My roommate made this for the first time last month, and we've made it twice since then! We did modify the recipe a bit, though. We used thick bacon pieces instead of normal bacon in our casserole (this seems to generally be cheaper than regular bacon strips at the grocery store). We also used cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken, added diced red onions and bell peppers, a A LOT more cheese, lol! It turned out fantastic every time.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 38 year old married woman. I have been cooking and baking since I was 10 years old. I long ago mastered the art of making something taste good & I am now working hard at perfecting the presentation aspect of food. I took a cake decorating course nearly 3 years ago which gave me lots of great ideas.