Bacon Cheeseburger Potato Salad
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Blue Ribbon USA by Georgia Orcutt & John Margolies, a cookbook sent to me in a cookbook swap from my partner, breezermom.
- Ready In:
- 4 russet potatoes, baked
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain the fat from the skillet.
- Cook the beef in the skillet over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces. When it is no longer pink, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in the sugar, flour, salt, dill, thyme, parsley, garlic, onion powder, and pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until the flour starts to brown. Add the water and vinegar and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring to make a smooth sauce. Crumble the bacon into the sauce and add the cooked beef. Add the potatoes and stir gently to coat with sauce.
- Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve hot.
- VARIATION: To reduce the fat in this dish, use turkey bacon. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to the pan before cooking the onion. Use grated Parmesan cheese instead of Cheddar, or omit the cheese altogether.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION