Bacon, Caramelized Onion & Melted Cheese Sandwich
photo by arleneteng
- Ready In:
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1 -2 slice cheese (any flavor)
- 2 slices white bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (optional)
- Place bacon on a baking sheet lined with foil. Place in cold oven and set oven to 400°F
- While the bacon is cooking, heat a skillet or small saucepan to medium heat. Add butter. Once the butter starts to melt, add the onion. Cook onion, stirring frequently, about 15-20 minutes or until a caramel color develops and onions are very soft. Add more butter as needed.
- After 15 minutes, check on the bacon. If it is cooked to your liking, remove the baking sheet from the oven and place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- 1-2 minutes before the onions have finished cooking, place cheese slices on top of the onions and allow to melt.
- If using, spread mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Place bacon on one slice of bread, then top with the onion and cheese. Top with other slice of bread to form a sandwich.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a really lovely sandwich. It was full of flavor, had excellent textures and was quick and easy to make. I used a nice fresh Italian Bread, butter, cheddar, bacon and spicy cilantro lime mayonnaise, so good. I will be enjoying this again, next time I will add a slice of tomato as well, I think it would really compliment the sandwich. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Made for Spring Pac 2014.