Bacon and Gruyere Pain Perdu
In ‘The French Slow Cooker’ by Michele Scicolone
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bacon
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped (about Ã 1/2 cup)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 6 cups day-old French bread cubes, 1-inch
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese or 1/2 cup emmenthaler cheese
- Butter the insert of a large slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp and browned.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain; crumble the bacon.
- Pour off all but 1 T of the fat from the skillet.
- Add the shallots and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until blended.
- Beat in the milk, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the bacon, shallots, and Parmesan.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and stir well.
- Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Press the bread cubes down into the liquid; sprinkle with the Gruyere.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot, scooping it out of the dish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION