- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb dried salt cod fish, "baccala"-soaked
- 1⁄2 cup oil, a good olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium potatoes, chunked
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- Soak baccala in a deep pan/bowl filled with water for 2 days;changing water once a day.
- Cut fish up into 4 inch squares;set aside.
- In pot on a medium low flame; put oil,onion and garlic; brown gently.
- Add celery,bay leaf,thyme and parsley; continue browning for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; cook 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes; cook 10 minutes.
- Add fish; cover and lower flame.
- Cook slowly; 40 minutes or until potatoes and fish are done.
- Stir in pepper at end of cook time.
Join The Conversation