MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Great chowder with chips
- Ready In:
- 5 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, 2 blended
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- salt and pepper
- may need more chicken stock
- tortilla chips (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese (optional)
- Rinse beans. Soak in chicken stock in large pot 8 hours.
- * Bring beans and stock to boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat and let cool.
- * Melt butter in saucepan. Add chicken and saute over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion, chile and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- * Puree half of cooked beans and cayenne in blender until smooth. Add cooked beans with cooking stock, bean puree and whipping cream to chicken and vegetables in saucepan. Bring to boil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- * Ladle chowder into bowls. Top with tortilla chips and cheese if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you soak canned beans and cook it that long? Or do you use dried beans. It doesn’t make sense to soak canned beans plus cook that long. Plus the ingredient said evaporated milk but the recipe said whipping cream. Which should I use? Please let me know. I had this soup at a restaurant and would really like to try it. Thanks so much. LeslieReplies 1