Ayam Bali (Balinese Chicken)
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (I'd triple this, at least!)
- 1 -3 hot red chili pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup toasted cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch or 2 lbs coconut milk
- additional toasted cashew nuts (to garnish)
- Combine the onion, garlic, chili peppers, cashew nuts, lemon juice,soy sauce, sugar, and ginger in an electric blender or food processor and blend until it forms a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and saute the chicken until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the blended mixture and cook uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the coconut milk, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with toasted cashews.
Join The Conversation
Love this recipe! I've made this a couple of times and I always like to add some prawn into it as well. Although a lot of people don't like that combination together, it tasted amazing! I bought my groceries from island organics Bali (www.baliorganic.id), they delivery fresh organic vegetables right from the farm! I really do think that the choice of place from where I buy groceries makes a big difference to the taste!