Awesome Swiss and Mozzarella Ham Hoagies
photo by Tim_John
- Ready In:
- 4 hoagie rolls, split, bottom half hollowed out leaving a 1/2 shell
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, more if needed
- 16 slices virginia-baked ham, boiled ham (thin slices) or 16 slices leftover ham (thin slices)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing, more if needed
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- salt and pepper
- 12 slices tomatoes (very thin slices)
- Spread inside bottoms of rolls with mayo. Toss ham slices in dressing.
- Pile ham inside rolls, don’t lay flat.
- Mix cheeses together, pile on top of ham. Wrap each in foil loosely, sealing top of foil closed.
- Bake in 350º oven for 20 minutes or til heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread top rolls with butter and broil til butter is melted and tops are lightly toasted.
- While tops are toasting, open foil and top hoagies with lettuce tossed in a little salt and pepper, then top with tomato slices.
- Do this fairly quickly so your tops don’t burn under the broiler!
- Then place on tops and enjoy!
- *You can spread tops with additional mayo if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I baked a ham yesterday and decided to make this recipe to go with some leftover soup in the refrig,for dinner today. I really liked this hoagie. Its Better than alot of sandwich shops..I omitted the 4 tblsp butter.And just lightly brushed butter over the tops to broil. And you really do have to watch them closely..Next time I make them they will be better...Thank U for this recipe..
These are awesome. I was kicking around Zaar today just looking for something I could put together that was unlike the "usual" din/din. I looked in the fridge, nothing going on in there except swiss cheese and mozzarella. Heck. Looked in the cupboard...naw on the rice and noodles. Looked in the freezer, no beef tonight just had that. No chicken, just had that too. What's that behind those sub rolls I froze the other day. Ham? Sliced ham from last week. Wow. I forgot I did that. Looked back on Zaar, and it led me here. The salad dressing marinade was perfect on the ham. Brought it back to life. Already had everything on hand. What luck! I did mess up at one point, and put the whole sub roll with the ham and cheese to melt. But it didn't make difference, After it baked and warmed up, I just took the top off and toasted it back in the oven with the butter. added lettuce and tomatoes and onion. Whew! Thank you so much Wildflour for making this a beautiful meal to fill our stomachs as well as our souls. This is outstanding!
see 7 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! Former caterer and restaurant owner taking life slower now and just enjoying photographing my food creations and blogging them! Pop on over to my blog to see over 800 of my recipes at Wildflour's Cottage Kitchen @ wildflourskitchen.com !