Award Winning Sea Food Chowder!
photo by Pamela K.
- Ready In:
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 organic carrots, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion (such as vidal)
- 2 celery ribs, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 250 g scallops
- 250 g shrimp
- 2 lobster tails, cut meat into 1 inch cubes
- 250 g haddock
- 250 ml cream, 10%
- 2 (294 ml) cans cream of potato soup
- Place large pot on medium-low heat. Add bacon and gently cook until it hits the crisp stage.
- Meanwhile, parboil potato in lightly salted water for about four minutes.
- Mix cream and potato soup together in a bowl.
- Remove bacon, chop it finely or crumble it and set aside.
- Add to the pot of bacon drippings, the butter, carrots, onion, and celery. Cook stirring frequently until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender. Add flour and cook for about a minute or until the flour starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock, 30 to 50 ml at a time, stirring constantly to make a smooth, creamy soup base. Add more chicken stock than recommended if you find it a little too thick.
- Turn up heat to medium and add the raw seafood. Bring to a simmer and cook for three to five minutes, or until shrimp are pink and have curled into a tight "c".
- When shrimp are pink, add potato soup mixture. Gently stir. Thin out soup with cream or milk if you find it too thick. When it starts to simmer, remove from heat.
- Serve with crumbled bacon pieces as a garnish and crusty bread as a side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>What can I say? I have been dabbling in the Kitchen for about thirty years and have gone from making Kraft Dinner to preparing international cuisine. Though my cooking skills are far from perfect, I have had a few compliments on the meals that I have provided. I enjoy cooking especially when cooking for friends. I have chosen to post my favourite recipes here on Recipezaar for those who wish to make them and for the friends who keep asking for them! Enjoy!</p>