Avocado Pesto Sauce
photo by amanda.nagy
- Ready In:
- 1 large avocado (pit removed)
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon (squeezed)
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 large zucchini (option #1)
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (olive oil or coconut oil also work- option #1)
- 1 lb pasta (option #2)
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste-option #2)
- 2 -4 chicken breasts (optional)
- Cut avocado into cubes and put into food processor.
- Wash and dry basil, cutting off stems and roughly chop before adding to avocado.
- Place remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- For option #1, julienne zucchinis and either place in a colander for 10-15 minutes or on paper towels and squeeze gently to remove any excess moisture. You can add a sprinkle of sea salt to taste and toss to coat (optional). Add bacon fat/oil to a frying pan over medium heat and let it melt. Add the zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes until al dente.
- For option #2, cook pasta per packaged instructions. Add a tablespoon of sea salt to taste (optional). Cook until al dente. Drain in colander and return to sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add sauce to either option #1 (zucchini noodles) or option #2 (pasta) and toss to ensure all noodles are coated in sauce. Cook for another 2-4 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, the sauce can be heated separately and served on top of the noodles/pasta.
- Serve immediately with or without chicken. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!