Avocado and Shrimp Sushi
Cooking Light. Their comments: Using mashed avocado makes this California-style sushi easy to roll. Use precooked shrimp for an easy shortcut. Serve sushi with the typical accompaniments of wasabi, low-sodium soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wasabi (Japanese horseradish)
- 1 avocado, peeled and mashed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 24 large shrimp, cooked, peeled, and halved crosswise (about 8 ounces)
- 6 nori (seaweed)
- 12 chives
- 12 pieces cucumbers, strips (7-inch-long julienne-cut seeded peeled)
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in vinegar; cover and cool to room temperature.
- Combine wasabi and avocado in a small bowl, and set aside. Combine cilantro and shrimp in another small bowl; toss well.
- Cut off top quarter of nori sheets along short end. Place 1 nori sheet, shiny side down, on a sushi mat covered with plastic wrap, with long end toward you.
- Pat 3/4 cup rice mixture evenly over nori with moist hands, leaving a 1-inch border on one long end of nori. Spread 1 tablespoon avocado mixture over rice.
- Arrange 8 shrimp pieces, 2 chives, and 2 cucumber strips along bottom third of rice-covered nori.
- Lift edge of nori closest to you; fold over filling. Lift bottom edge of sushi mat; roll toward top edge, pressing firmly on sushi roll.
- Continue rolling to top edge; press mat to seal sushi roll. Let rest, seam side down, for 5 minutes.
- Slice crosswise into 8 pieces. Repeat procedure with remaining nori, rice mixture, avocado mixture, shrimp mixture, chives, and cucumber.