Authentic Style Chicken Quesadilla
photo by jake ryleysmommy
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (mild or hot)
- 5 canned jalapeno slices (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 -6 flour tortillas
- 5 -6 slices white American cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Add tomatoes, broth, salsa, jalapeños, cumin, garlic, and salt to a medium size sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Chop chicken into small bite size pieces and add to boiling sauce. Turn heat immediately down to low- medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through. You can simmer for longer if you want more flavor infused into the meat.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter (or spray cooking spray) into a pan on medium low heat. Place cheese slice into center of flour tortilla. With a slotted spoon pick up chicken pieces and allow the juice to drain out. Place in center of tortilla and fold close. Cook tortillas about a minute on each side until golden brown and serve. Goes well with a guacamole salad.
We really love Tex Mex inspired dishes and this one was no disappointment. It was very simple to make and pleased the whole family. We used leftover shredded chicken, so simmering for a good length of time was perfect to let the sauce permeate the meat. We had to cut out the jalapenos to ensure it wasn't too spicy for us and just use a bit more spicy salsa to compensate. This is a nice addition to our Mexican recipe selections. Thanks for sharing if with us. =) PAC Fall '08
Made for PAC spring 2008. Wow, we loved this recipe!! My picky 5 year old gave it 5 stars and 2 thumbs up (this is a huge compliment!!) I had to use mild salsa, and left out the jalapeÃ±os so my kids would eat it. But next time I think I'll split it up and do half spicy and half mild. I used sprouted grain tortillas and they came out crunchy and delicious. I simmered the sauce for about and hour, the smell in my kitchen was incredible!! This recipe makes a huge amount of filling, I'm going to freeze some to have on hand when I get a craving for these. Thank you so much for a great recipe, it's going to change Mexican night in my house for the better!! :)