Aussie Shrimp on the Barbie With Orange Ginger Sauce
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 12 jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined (tails intact.)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 scallions, tops and white, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, freshly grated
- Soak 12 long wooded skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Push skewers through shrimp lengthwise from top to tail, 1 shrimp per skewer.
- Combine all other ingredients in saucepan and cook over low to medium heat, stirring, until butter is completely melted.
- Dip skewered shrimp in orange sauce and position on oiled grill rack about 4 inches above the coals.
- Baste liberally with sauce and grill for 2 minutes.
- Turn shrimp over and baste again, cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Smaller shrimp will be done at this point, but continue basting and turning larger shrimp until they are pink and cooked through.
- Remove from heat immediately when done, as they will get tough if overcooked.
- Use any remaining sauce for a dip for shrimp.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The sauce tastes great, especially if you add the honey as other reviewers suggested. I took half out before adding honey so the shrimp didn't burn on the grill, soaked the shrimp in that for a bit and put them on skewers. They cooked quickly, and I basted with the thicker sauce.....which I reserved a bit for dipping. I really enjoyed this quick to make shrimp recipe. Thanks for sharing!
We enjoyed this shrimp dish, it was quick and easy to make. After reading the other review I decide to reserve about half the sauce (there was still plenty to go on the shrimp for grilling) which I reduced in a fairly hot skillet and cooked down till it was fairly thick , this only took a few minutes. I served the grilled shrimp on top of the sauce. I salted and peppered the shrimp before grilling and added a clove a garlic to the sauce which was very flavorful. We really liked the ginger and orange combination. Made for SWT 2018 by one of the Pantry Pirates
Found this recipe for Father's Day 2021. No need to add anything to this at all - nothing but our lips! They were smacking from start to finish! I doubled the recipe as we were cooking 5 pounds of large shrimp. I wouldn't change a thing! We will be having this recipe again and often - can see using this marinade on salmon, cod, shrimp, orange roughy, etc.!! Thanks for such a lovely fresh and easy marinade!
We loved this! The only change I made, after tasting the sauce before grilling, was to add a touch of honey, since the sauce was very thin and I wanted it to form a bit of a glaze on the shrimp. I didn't read Momaphet's review before starting, and her idea of reducing half the sauce is a good one. We found we had twice as much sauce as we needed. In fact, I simply poured a bit of the sauce into the bowl with the shrimp and coated them before threading them on the skewers. This left a LOT of untouched sauce in the mixing bowl. This is a keeper of a recipe - the combo of ingredients is perfect for the shrimp and we'll definitely be making this again! Made for SWT 2018, Team IncrEdibles.
see 8 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
One of the old time founding members of Recipezaar. I live in Port Orchard, Washington. I LOVE to cook and bake nearly everything! I HATE to see people join the site, have no published recipes, but rag on another cook in a review on a recipe they haven't even tried or didn't follow. Oh, and I hate cilantro, too. :)