Auntie Fanny's Pea and Mint Mash
photo by Zurie
- Ready In:
- Peel the onion and potato, and slice, then cut both into quite tiny pieces so they cook quickly.
- Heat a knob of butter in a saucepan. Fry the chopped onion and potato, stirring, until they just soften. Salt lightly.
- Add the peas, frozen or fresh, and add about 1/4 cup (or less) water. Bring to the boil, and stir well as soon as the frozen peas release their icy grip.
- Add more salt, the sugar and the pepper, and stir. Turn heat lower and put on lid.
- Simmer for about 7 - 10 minutes. Stir through at least once.
- Drain in a sieve over a bowl, keeping the cooking liquid. Chuck all into your processor, but the mashing part can be done with any other utensil which will do the job.
- Add the mint, to taste, and process until well mashed but not totally smooth. You will have to add 1 - 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, but do not make it watery!
- Taste for seasoning, and add more butter if you like.
- Serve as suggested, with contrasting flavours, which it will need, as it's only a side dish and cannot stand on its own.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh wow, this was amazing! I will admit that I had made Recipe #53876 in my food processor before making this and couldnt bear washing all those fresh herbs down the sink. So I am sure my version added more callories and a bit more zip with the dipping sauce reminents in my food processor. Only made it once so far but I think this is my favorite new dinner side. Thank you! It also gives me something nice to do with my mint, because a girl can only drink so many mojitos! Served it with lasagna and mixed green salad. Hubby was super impressed.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a widow, retired, and I love cooking. I live on the coast in South Africa and I love seafood. You're welcome to my recipes (all kinds, definitely not just seafood!) Just remember that no recipe is ever cast in stone -- adjust to your taste! The photo was taken at a rustic seaside restaurant on our West Coast, approx 1 year ago (2016).