Assyrian Chicken and Potatoes With Yellow Rice
photo by Dienia B.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 potatoes, cubed, boiled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 4 cups water, boiling
- Mix turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, salt, paprika, and parsley together.
- Rub mixture all over chicken.
- Saute onion in butter and oil. l add garlic.
- Brown chicken.
- Take out put in a casserole dish.
- Add cooked potatoes and cook until lightly browned.
- Put potatoes in casserole dish over chicken.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- Uncover; bake another 20 minutes.
- Start rice when you uncover chicken.
- Heat oil; add rinsed rice and turmeric.
- Fry until puffed not burned.
- Add boiling water; bring to a boil.
- Cover; cook 20 minutes; serve under chicken.
- Bake; cover.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Amazing flavors! I used skinless thighs which were first pounded to 1/2" thickness. Made a paste of olive oil and the spices, browned the chicken and placed in the center of a greased baking dish. Browned diced potatoes (Yukon Golds which were perfect for this recipe) and placed around the edges of the pan, scraping up the browned bits from the chicken. Browned the onions and garlic in the same manner and placed on top of the potatoes. Covered and baked. Cooked a pot of white basmati rice with the turmeric and serve along side of the chicken. Fresh herbs garnish would have been appropriate for this dish and to break up all that yellow-orange color: fresh cilantro or parsley and if only I had some on hand. Plain yogurt served on the side. Meal was accompanied by Recipe #436995 minus the sumac because I wanted a salad that wouldn't compete with the spices in the chicken. Fabulous meal all around! Will make again and be sure to have fresh herbs on hand to garnish. Reviewed for NA*ME tag/November. PS the ingredients' list read to boil the potatoes but I skipped that and also a small amount of Spanish smoked paprika subbed for standard.
This full flavored recipe made last night's dinner and it was delicious. I used my tagine and it looked as great on the table as it tasted on the plate. Simply loved the spices, each and every one! Used chicken breasts and my favorite potato, Yukon Golds. Thanks so much Dee for another marvelous recipe :D
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p style=text-align: center;>Hi! If you're looking for grandmas recipe, it might be here .</p> 8726272"