Asparagus Soup With Mini Meatballs
photo by TasteTester
- Ready In:
- 125 g extra lean ground beef
- 125 g lean ground turkey
- 125 g extra lean ground pork
- 1 egg
- 8 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 398 ml asparagus spears, canned
- 30 g butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup light cream, 5%
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Combine the first 8 ingredients to make the meat ball mix.
- Roll the meat balls into small 1/2 inch balls.
- Cook the meat balls in a large pot of slightly boiling water for 5 minutes (longer if the meatballs are bigger).
- Remove with strainer and set aside.
- Cut the asparagus spears into bit sized pieces, keep the asparagus liquid.
- In a large pot melt the butter and stir in the flour with a whisk.
- Add the liquikd from the asparagus and whisk well.
- Add the chicken broth and whisk well; let the soup simmer for 5 minute.
- Add the cream.
- Add the asparagus and meatballs and warm through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We absolutely loved this soup!! It is so full of flavor and easy to make. The meatballs did take a little bit of time to form, but I didn't mind -- it's one of those repetitive tasks that lets you talk with someone or think about other things while doing it. I'd never cooked meatballs in water before, and they came out perfectly done; not mushy and not dry. I added a little more breadcrumbs and a dash of onion powder to the meatballs, but besides that followed the recipe exactly as written. The taste of asparagus really permeated this soup -- I think using the liquid from the canned asparagus really added to the taste. I also used light cream as suggested. All in all, this is a wonderful-tasting soup that I'll definitely serve again!!