Asparagus, Pickled Beets & Blue Cheese Salad
photo by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
- Ready In:
- 1 lb asparagus, 6 per person
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, for boiling water
- ice water, bath
- 1 small red onion, slivered using as much as you like
- 4 pickled beets, large dice, one per person depending on the size
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled use as much as you like, sub. soft goat cheese
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces champagne vinaigrette, I like store bought Girard's light
- Boil water for asparagus, add salt.
- Make a ice water bath in a large bowl. You will use to shock the asparagus and halt the cooking.
- Trim tough ends off of asparagus spears, leave whole.
- Place asparagus spears in boiling water. Blanche for 2-3 minutes.
- Quickly remove from hot water and place in ice water bath to shock.
- Prepare onions and pickled beets as suggested.
- Arrange asparagus spears on a platter or individual salad plates.
- Sprinkle and arrange the onion slices, beets and blue cheese.
- Top with a light champagne vinaigrette. I like Girard's brand.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is a main course in my opinion. I used a dribble of left over greek dressing in place of of the champagne vinaigrette, green onions in place of the red onion and then added roasted walnuts. I even used canned pickled beets! All of the above with the blue cheese and asparagus was a delightful combination. Delicious! Thank you.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi there! Originally CHICAGOLAND CHEF DU JOUR, I like to think of myself as a fantastic home cook with a flair for the gourmet. I have gotten & shared many recipes since I became a member in 2007. Although I have not been active in a few years, I still return to look for recipes from some of my fave chefs. Thanks to all you have helped me over the years and thanks a bunch to any and all reviews.