Asparagus Negimaki (Japanese Beef Rolls)
photo by Lynettie
- Ready In:
24 beef rolls
- Preheat grill pan until hot; bring salted water to a boil over medium high heat in a saucepan.
- Blanch asparagus spears for 1 minute; drain and plunge in an ice water bath to stop cooking.
- In a small saucepan combine soy sauce, sugar, mirin (or dry sherry), ginger, and garlic; heat over medium heat until reduced and slightly thickened; set aside to cool.
- Cut green onions in fourths, lengthwise, so you have long strips.
- Slice beef in 1/4 inch slices, then pound to tenderize and thin out.
- Dip beef slice in soy sauce mixture and place on a clean work surface; season with pepper.
- Place an asparagus spear and a piece of green onion on the beef slice and roll up.
- Do the same with the remaining asparagus and beef.
- Grill beef rolls about 2 minutes until slightly charred and medium rare. Turn several times and brush with soy sauce mixture.
- Remove to a serving platter and drizzle generously with soy sauce mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh my goodness!!!! Sooooooooo delicious! And easy! Thank you, Ice Cool Kitty for posting our new family favorite! We served them on a bed of rice with the extra sauce on top; would also be excellent as an appetizer/finger food.<br/><br/>Instead of cooking the sauce first, I simply marinated the pounded meat in it as I was making up the rolls; then left the rolls in the sauce until they hit the frypan. After turning the meat, I poured the sauce into the pan to flash-boil and thicken while the meat finished cooking (about 1 more min).
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>