- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 4 lbs fresh asparagus, pencil thin, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 2⁄3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Cook lasagna noodles and drain.
- Heat oven to 500°F.
- Cut off about 1" at the end of the asparagus stalks and discard.
- Coat the asparagus with olive oil and spread out in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Roast 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt, cut into bite-size pieces, and let cool.
- Reduce oven to 400°F.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine water and broth; slowly add to flour-butter mixture, constantly stirring.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add mozzarella and lemon zest, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Butter a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Place a layer of noodles in the pan, then half the sauce, then half the asparagus pieces, then 1/2 cup parmesan.
- Repeat, then put on the top layer of noodles.
- In a small bowl combine cream and a dash of salt.
- Whip until soft peaks form then spoon over noodles.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes.
Join The Conversation
I used a pound of asparagus, made in a 9x9 pan. I made all the sauce, but used about 3/4 of it. I also made this a day ahead of time up to the point where I had to whip the cream and put it in the oven. It was all good, but (and this is my fault) it was greasy due to the overwhelming amount of cheese. I would use low fat shredded mozzerella next time and cut the quantity down to 1 cup.