Asian Tofu Pitas
A tasty vegetarian lunch...
- Ready In:
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained & cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb fresh Baby Spinach, rinsed & patted dry
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray then heat until hot. Add the onion, peppers, & garlic and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu, soy sauce, & pepper to the vegetables, stir. Continue to cook another 3-4 minutes or until the tofu is heated through. Remove from the heat & cool slightly.
- Mix the tomatoes & spinach in with the tofu & vegetables then stuff each pita half with the mixture. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made as directed with homemade pita bread, the wheat version of recipe #187699 (Pita Bread for the Breadmaker), into which I incorporated recipe #404288 (Nutritious Flour Blend). Very healthy and I just love tofu! Next time I will try adding some Asian red sweet chili sauce as one reviewer suggested in order to spice it up a bit. Thanks, Nasseh! Made for Best of 2010 Tag Game as recommended by gailanng.
This made a delicious and healthy lunch! I added a Tbsp oil when cooking the tofu and bell pepper. Right before taking the tofu and veggies off the stove I also added a Tbsp of Asian red sweet chili sauce to give it a little extra flavor. Thanks for another great recipe! Made for ZWT6 LOONEY SPOON PHOODIES.