Asian Tempura Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketjap manis
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 dried habanero chile, crushed
- peanut oil, to fry in
- Place the chicken in a plastic bag and add the sauces and the pepper. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate over night. A vacuum sealer will cause the sauces to penetrate more deeply but is not essential.
- Mix the egg yolk, 1 tbs flour, salt, and ice water to form a thick batter. Adjust wet or dry ingredient as necessary.
- Cut the chicken into ¾ inch strips three inches long.
- Dredge the chicken strips in the batter and then in the remaining flour.
- Put about an inch of oil in a wok and bring to high heat. Gently and carefully slide the chicken in and cook, undisturbed, for two minutes. Once again, gently and carefully, turn the chicken and cook for one more minute.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!