Asian Style Tuna Mayo Bread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe is off a website and is credited to "Ernie Yulyaningsih". This is a classic favorite in the world of Asian bread. The bread is slightly sweet which provides a nice contrast to the creamy savoury taste of the tuna filling.
- Ready In:
- 500 g plain flour, and extra for kneading
- 50 g powdered milk (full cream)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 60 ml canola oil
- 350 ml water
- 2 (420 g) cans tuna in water (or fresh tuna steak if you prefer)
- 200 ml japanese mayonnaise (available in Asian grocers)
- 2 teaspoons chicken salt
- freshly ground black pepper
For the bread:
- Mix the sugar in water, heat and dissolve. Let it cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile sift the flour, milk powder, salt and yeast into a clean dry plastic bowl.
- Once the liquid cools, pour into the dry ingredients along with coconut cream and canola oil.
- Knead for 10 minutes until elastic. If the dough is sticky, feel free to incorporate a small amount of extra flour, but take care not to add too much as this can cause the dough to become dry and tough.
- Put the dough into a clean and well-oiled plastic bowl; cover the bowl with wet kitchen towel and let prove for 35 minutes.
- To make the tuna filling:.
- Drain the tuna, and mix in the mayonnaise, chicken salt and pepper thoroughly. If using fresh tuna steak, fry the tuna with a little bit of oil. Flake it and mix in the mayonnaise.
- Punch down the bread and roll into a log. Cut into 60g pieces and roll each out to a circle. To the centre add a generous amount of tuna and fold carefully making sure that you seal them.
- Invert (it should be in a shape of a bun at this point) and put on an oiled baking tray (or you can save washing up by using baking paper). Repeat with all dough and tuna mix.
- Let the buns prove for another 30 minutes. Put a drop of extra mayonnaise and shallots for garnish on top of each bun. Bake for 20 minutes and serve while still hot. Yum yum!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION