Asian Corn Chowder
- Ready In:
6 cups soup
- 3 cups corn (frozen or fresh)
- 4 -5 cups water
- 1 low-sodium chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk (or fat free)
- 3⁄4 cup firm tofu, diced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms (ground into a powder or diced finely)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic, (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1. Combine corn, water, bouillon, mushrooms, and garlic in large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 2. Blend approximately two-thirds of soup to create creamy texture. Cook on medium for 10 minutes (or more) so soup is simmering/at a low boil.
- 3. Add sugar and fish sauce, stir, let cook several minutes and then taste. FIsh sauce will add a wonderful umami flavor and meld with the other flavors.
- 4. Measure out cornstarch, add a small amount of milk, stirring until makes a smooth paste. Pour rest of milk into paste, stir and add to soup. Add diced tofu. Add black pepper to taste. Bring soup to a boil for 1 minute and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an organic-farm raised, free-range, traveler. Epicure, anthropologist, goat herder, professional baker, TV free.