Ash-E Joe - Persian Barley Soup
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 125 g pearl barley
- 750 g fresh herbs equal portions parsley, spinach, chive, dill and coriander
- 125 g garbanzo beans
- 125 g red kidney beans
- 125 g lentils
- 1⁄4 cup white rice
- 3 medium onions
- 2 cups kashk
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper
- Soak all beans together for several hours, preferably overnight.
- Soak rice and barley together for several hours, preferably overnight.
- Cook the beans with enough water to cover for an hour over low heat. Then add rice and barley. Stir occasionally.
- Clean the herbs removing coarse stems, wash, dry and chop finely.
- Add the herbs after 1/2 hour and continue to cook over low heat. Don't forget to stir occasionally.
- Simmer for a further 2 to 3 hours until all ingredients are tender and well blended. The outcome should be thick and not watery.
- Remove from heat, add kashk keeping one tbs for garnish, salt and pepper and stir. Dish up into a serving dish.
- Slice the onions and fry in a little oil until it turns golden brown. Add mint and tumeric and stir.
- Garnish the soup with kashk and the fried onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Recently relocated to Queensland, warmer seas for sailing and fishing. Aside from cooking for my family I do cake decorating (mainly wedding cakes) and recently unusual jams - adding spices and herb - and preserves and cheese making