Asabia El Aroos (Afghanistan)
photo by Jessie L
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 100 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 100 g almonds or 100 g pistachios
- 50 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 200 g frozen phyllo dough or 18 pieces phyllo dough
- Prepare the syrup (sugar, water, lime juice) in advance and chill it in the fridge. I can’t stress enough how important this is, since my syrup wasn’t cold enough and, consequently, not thick enough.
- To make the filling, simply combine sugar and nuts in a food processor.
- First preheat the oven to 375°F (180°C). Cut the filo into 18″ * 12″ (about 30 * 22cm). Lay the rectangles on the table one by one, with the shorter side facing you. Place a table spoon of the filling on the side facing you and roll it up from the short side, forming a fat cigar shape. Place on the baking sheet with the cut edge down. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Beat the egg and brush the tops of the pastries. Bake for 15-20 min, or until golden brown.
- Place everything on a tray and pour the syrup over. Alternatively, if that sounds too sweet for you, you can just dip the “fingers” in syrup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!