Arroz Con Salchichas (Vienna Sausages)
photo by bergren
- Ready In:
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages sazon goya con culantro y achiote
- 2 (5 ounce) cans vienna sausages, save the liquid for the rice
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 3⁄4 cups hot water
- 15 pimento stuffed olives
- 2 teaspoons capers
- In a 5qt pot,add sofrito, sazón, vienna sausages, tomato sauce, salt, canola oil, olives and alcaparras.
- Rinse the rice well and add to the other ingredients.
- Add the hot water and liquid of the sausages and water to equal the amount of water specified. Turn heat up to medium high and stir well.
- When it starts boiling, lower the heat to medium, and let the rice completely dry out. By now, most of the liquid will be absorbed and you will not see the edges around the rice bubbling.
- Stir the rice with a large spoon, bringing the rice at the bottom to the top.
- Cover the pot to a tight fit with the lid and aluminum foil and reduce the heat to low.
- After about 20 minutes, uncover carefully
- and turn the rice again using the large spoon.
- Cover the pot again with and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot and set it on a cool burner. DO NOT leave it on a hot burner or it will continue to cook.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes.
Back in the day, my mom made this with corn (which I always enjoyed). So I made this recipe with canned corn with chipotle, tomatoes with chiles and garbanzos. It turned out great! Topped with fresh cilantro and all you need is lechon! Next time I'll roast corn on the cob, use homegrown tomatoes for my sauce and try this again. I can't wait until my veggies are ready!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am an Army wife, mom, and microbiologist who currently lives in Texas. I am originally from beautiful Puerto Rico. I live with my adorable handsome husband, beautiful daughter, three rescued dogs (English Mastiff/Dane, Blue Mastiff, White Fluff Ball) and our foster kid, a Great Py. We are also a Christian family.</p> <p>I enjoy cooking, photography, decoration, reading, DIY projects. Most of all, I enjoy taking care of my family and making memories of each day we spend together.</p> <p><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /></p>