Arroz Con Gandules (Rice With Pigeon Peas)
- Ready In:
- In a large pot with a lid gently brown ham steak in oil.
- Add sofrito, sazon, boullion cube, olives and undrained pigeon peas.
- Simmer gently to mix flavors.
- Stir in rice and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-high.
- Boil until no visible liquid remains, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Heap rice and bean mixture into a mound in the center of the pot. Cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir and check rice for doneness every 5 minutes or so. A crisp rice crust will form on the bottom if the mix is not stirred often. This will add a bit of crunch to the dish but I have found all the men in my family love the crust!
- When rice is tender, stir once again to fluff mixture.
- Serve with sliced of avocado and garnish with additional green olives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!