! Arriba ! Baked Winter Squash Mexican-Style
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 1 lb winter squash (such as hubbard, acorn, delicata, spaghetti, etc.)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Mexican seasoning, mix to taste (see my Mexican Seasoning Mix II (Salt Free))
- 1 -2 teaspoon mexican mixed spice, to taste (see my Sweet Mexican Spice Seasoning Mix)
- honey (or piloncillo)
- olive oil
- *NOTE: Two separate seasoning suggestions are given. Make a choice and proceed with recipe.
- Depending on size of squash, cut into half or fourths.
- Remove seeds.
- For spicy squash, drizzle (roughly 1/2 teaspoon) olive oil or melted butter over each cut squash piece. Season with Mexican Seasoning Mix II.
- For sweet squash, drizzle (roughly 1/2 teaspoon) melted honey, butter, grated piloncillo (or any combination of) over each cut squash piece. Season with Sweet Mexican Spice Mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees, again depending on size, for 40 minutes up to an hour, until a fork can easily pierce the skin.
- Be careful not to burn the squash especially if you opt to use sugar or butter. If you feel more comfortable, cover the squash with aluminum foil the first half hour, give or take, of baking.
- If desired, season with salt.
- Note for Vegan use piloncillo.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used an acorn squash and recipe#137681 Sweet Mexican spice blend. Only used 1 tsp honey & 1 tsp butter between both halves,, sprinkled the squash liberally with the spice mix. Baked covered for 45 minutes uncovered or 15. I basted the squash with the the butter/honey from the cavity allowing it to get a golden color. Lovely Squash recipe Thanks Cookgirl