Armenian Choereg (Breadsticks)
photo by manushag
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs flour or 8 -9 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (about 105 degrees)
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon nigella seeds (black seeds)
- 2 eggs
- 1 beaten egg
- sesame seeds
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Heat milk and turn off heat. Add butter and Crisco to melt and cool milk.
- If you have a large Kitchen Aid Mixer, add all ingredients except beaten egg and sesame seeds. If not, you will need to mix all in a large bowl and knead by hand.
- Add enough flour to make a soft slightly sticky dough.
- Knead 10 minutes in mixer or with oiled hands.
- Allow to rise until double in bulk. Around 2 hours.
- Oil hands and punch down. Pull off a hunk of dough and roll out with your hands to a long rope.
- Slice on the diagonal in 5 inch pieces. Make sticks or circles or braid three pieces together, if desired.
- Place on a cookie sheet an inch apart.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until light brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!