Applesauce Spice Bread
photo by Malu8033
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup currants or 1/2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line the bottom and sides of a 9"x5" loaf pan with waxed paper and grease.
- Break the egg into a bowl and beat lightly. Stir in the apple sauce, butter or margarine, brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Fold the dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture in three batches.
- Stir in the currants or raisins and chopped pecans.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. (Note: in my oven, it took only about 45 minutes to finish).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is very close to one my grandmother used for years at christmas time. I tried this and adapted it slightly to be more like hers and it came out great. What I did was I swapped out the nutmeg for clove and added 1/2 cup of chopped dates and 1/2 tsp vanilla. I also chopped the raisins because this is what my grandmother always did.