Apple Smoked Baked Beans
photo by Chef David Marional
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 5 slices bacon
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Rinse beans and cook overnight on low in a slow cooker (crock pot). Rinse again and place in a large bowl.
- Open pineapple chunks and drain (reserving liquid), add to the beans.
- Mix tomato paste, molassas, soy sauce, cider vinegar, honey, pineapple juice, garlic powder, black pepper, cinnamon and ground ginger in a small bowl then add to beans. mix to coat completely.
- Divide the mixture between 2 baking dishes that will fit in your smoker (or in your oven).
- Cut the bacon strips into @3/4 inch pieces then layer the top of each baking dish. Place in your smoker with the wood chips of your choice(I prefer apple) at 200 degrees until the bacon is cooked, @6 hours. PLEASE NOTE, this time is based upon my electric smoker on medium with a full water pan. If you are using an oven either place a pan of water in the oven or reduce the cooking time, to when the bacon is cooked to a golden brown.
- Mix both batches of beans in a large covered bowl, refrigerate over night, then gently reheat and serve the next day.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoy playing with my food and sharing cooking recipe's with family and friends for many years.. I have been an AFLAC Associate since 1985, which has allowed me to sample food nationwide.My wife is the everyday chef(she's very good), so I get to be creative chef. It's been 30 + happy years cooking in the kitchen together.