photo by Dienia B.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 6 large tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to finish
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar, also to finish, maybe more
- whipped cream, sweetened slightly (optional)
- sour cream, sweetened slightly (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Butter the paper and the sides of the pan.
- Peel, halve and core your apples, then chop them into medium-sized chunks. (Cut each half into four “strips” then slice them fairly thinly — about 1/4-inch — in the other direction.) Pile the cut apples directly in the prepared pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs with sugar until thick and ribbons form on the surface of the beaten eggs.
- Beat in vanilla, then stir in flour with a spoon until just combined. Batter will be very thick.
- Spread the batter and press it down with spoon or spatula into the apple pile. The top of the batter should end up level with the top of the apples. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out free of batter.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes on rack, then flip out onto another rack, peel off the parchment paper, and flip it back onto a serving platter. Dust lightly with ground cinnamon.
- Serve warm or cooled, dusted with powdered sugar. Serve with barely sweetened whipped or sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!