Apple, Raisin and Nut Muffins
photo by AdriMicina
- Ready In:
- 2 cups grated raw cooking apples
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash cinnamon (can be increased if you like)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice (cinnamon + nutmeg + cardamom + ginger - or just cinnamon if you prefer)
- Preheat oven 200°C and line muffin pan with paper cases or grease them.
- Combine apples, sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and orange peel, mix well.
- Add raisins and nuts.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and spice.
- Add dry ingredients to the apple batter and mix just until combined, do not overmix.
- Pour into muffin pans and sprinkle with a mixture of brown sugar and spice, pressing lightly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, let cool on a rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are delicious and easy to make. I've made this recipe twice; the first time exactly as written, but the second time I was low on apples so I used one cup of grated apples and one cup of grated carrots. Both versions turned out well and were delicious. Thanks Adriana, for sharing an excellent recipe.