Apple Pie With Oatmeal Crumble Topping
photo by Cleanfreshcuisine
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- Cut Shortening into flour with a pastry blender or fork until well blended and particles are the size of small peas. Make a well in the center and pour in ice water. Toss together, being careful not to over work the dough. Shape into a flat disk and place on floured board. Roll out to about 2″ larger than inverted pie dish. Fold pastry in half and place in pie dish. Unfold and fit pastry to dish. Press firmly against bottom and sides. Crimp edges.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples thinly. Mix sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl. Add sliced apples and toss well with sugar mixture. Turn into pastry coated pie plate.
For Crumb Topping:
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup of flour, 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup brown sugar and the 1/3 cup of butter with a fork or pastry blender.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples in pastry lined pie plate.
- Bake pie at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
- This recipe yields one 10″ pie.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Kyle and I am a Mom, a chef, a blogger and an event planner