Apple Pie With Cheddar Crust
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
1 9-inch pie
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup ice cold water, plus more if needed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled, cored and sliced (Honey crisp and granny smith)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
To Make the Dough:
- Place flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter and cheddar cheese and pulse 4-5 times until pea-size chunks form in the flour. Pulse the ice water into dough until dough holds together when squeezed. If dough seems dry, add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough just holds together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and bring together into a ball. Divide dough in half, cover each half tightly with plastic wrap and flatten into a 1-inch thick rounds. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until dough is well chilled.
To Make the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon zest and juice, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and pinch salt. Set aside while you roll out dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough into a round that fits into a 9-inch pie pan with enough for a 1-inch overhang. Transfer dough to pie plate and and use your hands to press into the dish. Spoon the apple filling into the dish, spreading evenly. Dot with 2 tablespoons cubed butter.
- Roll the remaining pie dough out to a 1/4-inch thick round. Use a fluted pastry wheel to cut 12 1-inch wide strips. Arrange the dough in a lattice over the pie. Trim the edges to make a 1-inch overhang around the pie. Tuck dough under and crimp edges.
- Whisk to combine egg yolk and heavy cream. Brush over dough and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake until center is bubbling and crust is golden, about 75-90 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, slice to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!