Apple Pie Filling
photo by gemini08
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 6 lbs apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ascorbic acid (optional) or 2 teaspoons lemon juice to treat the apples
- Wash, peel and slice apples. Treat to prevent darkening - either with a produce protector or 2 tsp of lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, flour and spices. Rinse and drain apples; stir into sugar mixture.
- Let stand until juices begin to flow, about 30 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Remove cloves, ladle pie filling into plastic freezer jars or containers, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Cool at room temperature, not to exceed two hours. It is now ready to be used in a recipe or else, seal, label and freeze.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am originally from Austria, live in Florida since 1977. I love cooking and like to relax by reading cookbooks. <br />I am also a member of a cooking site in Austria and have posted many American and International dishes there. <br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/buddies.jpg alt= /></p>