Apple Pie Baked in the Apple
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 pie crust
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (more or less make adjustment as desired)
- Heat oven to 375%.
- Cut off the top of 4 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon very carefully, as to not puncture the peel.
- Remove skin from 2 additional apples and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.
- Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon and sugar, make adjustments as desired.
- Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples.
- Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips.
- (You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/sweetness to the pie. ).
- Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
- Place apples in an 8×8 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
Join The Conversation
Fantastic idea! These are a bit labor intensive and highly recommend using large apples (mine were medium). We loved that these were very low fat; I made using 50% brown sugar and 50% regular sugar inside some tart Granny Smiths making for a nice sweet and tart combo. I used a biscuit cutter to cut the pie crust into a cute little cap. Love Kathy?s photo series and think next time might try her suggestion of using canned apple pie filling. Thanks for the post.