Apple -Pear Turnovers
- Ready In:
For the filling
- 2 apples, about 3/4 pound total
- 1 firm but ripe pear, about 1/2 pound
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
For the pastry
- all-purpose flour, for rolling
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, each 9 1/2 inches square, thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Before you start position 2 oven racks evenly in the oven near the center so there is space in between them. Preheat the oven to 400°F Grease 2 baking sheets with butter.
- To make the filling peel, core and cut into small chunks the apple and pear.
- Put the chunks into a bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins and stir together.
- Sprinkle a work surface with some flour.
- Unfold 1 of the thawed puff pastry sheets on top of the flour. Keep the other sheet wrapped in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle some flour on the pastry.
- Using a rolling pin, and beginning at the center of the pastry, roll out to the far side. Then roll from the center toward you.
- After every few rolls, give the pastry a quarter turn and sprinkle the top and bottom of the pastry with more of the flour so the pastry does not stick.
- Keep rolling and sprinkling until the pastry is a 12 1/2-inch square.
- Using a ruler and a pizza wheel or table knife, trim the edges to make a 12-inch square.
- Pull away the scraps of dough and discard.
- Cut the 12-inch square into 4 equal 6-inch squares.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the filling into the center of each square.
- Spread the filling across the middle toward 2 opposite points.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork.
- Brush the beaten egg along 2 edges of each square with the pastry brush.
- Fold one-half of each square over the filling, enclosing it fully and forming a triangle.
- Press the edges together with the fork to seal them.
- Place the 4 turnovers on a prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Repeat with the remaining puff pastry sheet and filling.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the turnovers with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle the turnovers with the sugar.
- Put 1 baking sheet on the upper rack in the oven and the other sheet on the lower rack in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Then, using oven mitts, remove the baking sheets and put each one on the opposite rack.
- Bake until the turnovers are puffed and brown, about 15 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!