Apple 'n' Spice Muffins
My Grandma used to love these! I made a batch for her every week. A nice muffin with a combination of apples and cinnamon which adds extra flavour but not many calories.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple (I used the granny smiths, or golden delicious and I think any kind will work, just go with your own)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, mix together apple, egg, milk and butter. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined, but not overmixed.
- Spoon into lightly greased or cupcake lined muffin tray until about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden and tops are firm to the touch.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
These were really good! I made a few changes, using whole wheat pastry flour and buttermilk, and increasing the brown sugar. I cut the recipe in half and it made 7 muffins. I would definitely suggest adding more cinnamon and doubling the apples. Overall though, these are great muffins and I will be making them again for sure.