This recipe came from a cookbook I got in Plains,Ga. We usually have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with it. Great for serving dinner guests.
- Ready In:
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 cups apples, sliced (I use Mcintosh)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Pour pineapple in 9x13 baking dish.
- Layer apples, 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice on top of pineapple.
- Sprinkle fruit with cake mix.
- top with melted butter, 1/4 cup sugar and pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then cut into with knife so juices can rise Bake 30 minutes longer.
- Very good served warm with ice cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Thank you Yamma for the SCRUMPTIOUS apple yummy!!!! I followed the directions almost to a "T" with very few modifications. Instead of sprinkling the second 1/4 of sugar on top of the cake mix, I sprinkled cinnamon sugar. Through the second leg of cooking, I took a spoon and gently mixed the batter into the underlying juices. Also, I gently placed aluminum foil over the top of the dish (spotted with a few slits just in case) after about 5-10 minutes of initial cooking so that the pecans didn't get burnt and not toasted. I will make this again--it was a huge hit!Reply
This was very yummy! It reminded us of "dump cake" recipes. My kids are wanting me to make it again already. Next time though, I am going to try to reduce the sugar and see how it turns out. I used Granny Smith apples. Thanks for sharing this! Made for My 3 Chefs Fall '09 event. UPDATE: I tried this a second time, and omitted the sugar completely. It was still delicious. I will make it without the sugar from now on =DReply