Apple Jack Breakfast Wraps
- Ready In:
- 2 cups peeled cored and diced tart green apples
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter
- 2 10 inch whole wheat tortillas (I also have used apple cinnamon tortillas when I can get them)
- In a bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients; toss to coat apples evenly.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the apple mixture; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add in the milk and stir to mix.
- Gradually stir in the oatmeal.
- Lower the heat and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed by the oatmeal.
- Remove skillet from the heat and add vanilla.
- Evenly spread the apple butter on the two tortillas, leaving a 1-inch border aroung the edge.
- Spoon the apple-oatmeal mixture onto the tortillas and roll-up/wrap.
Join The Conversation
We loved this recipe! I found it a bit sweet with the apple butter on the tortilla, so I left if off, but still delicious!! A wonderful change of pace for oatmeal. I used skim milk rather than the whole, and cooked it ahead of time, and simply reheated while we were camping for breakfast. So easy and so yummy!!
My 19 year old son picked this recipe in his search for a healthy on-the-go breakfast. He really likes them. I did substitute a sweeter jonagold so I can slightly cut back on the honey. I also upped the apples to about 3 cups without a problem and subbed low fat milk for whole. I did put a really thin smear of almond butter on the tortilla before wrapping. I'm planning to double the batch next time and trying some with a brush of butter and baked till crispy. These are excellent reheated too. Thank you for adding another keeper to our recipe file :)
These were really good, and even satisfied the picky teen. Saylaveev mentioned them in the camping thread, so I cooked up the filling at home, and packed up the remaining ingredients. I gave the campers 2 options: preparing their wrap with apple butter (really really good) or 100% Natural Peanut Butter. The PB eaters got a higher-protien/lower carb wrap that was *VERY* filling.