Apple Harvest Bake
photo by The Bakery Mouse
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup warm apple juice (I used apple cider)
- 2 tablespoons oil (recipe calls for Enova Oil)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- cooking spray
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine oats, apple juice and oil in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in egg whites and vanilla.
- Pour margarine in the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar. Arrange apple slices spoke-like on top of brown sugar, working from the center of pan to edge.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl, stir with a whisk. Add oat mixture; stir just until moist. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Place a plate upside down on top of cake; invert onto plate. Cut into wedges. Makes 8 servings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I also found this recipe in the adds, and just had time to make it today. It was really tasty. I didn't have any nutmeg, so I just used a little more cinnamon. I also baked it in a spring form pan to make transfer easier. It might have been a little larger than 9" because the cake was ready after 30 minutes of baking. Overall, the cake turned out well, and I would bake it again
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a person who loves to cook but I am trying to explore the healthy side of it all. I quite often look at recipes for their fat and calorie content only. I have been able to retire so I have even more time to Cook. So many recipes, so little time. :)