Apple Crostata With Caramel Sauce
photo by Roxanne J.R.
- Ready In:
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar and the flour in large bowl. Stir in apples. The sugar-flour mixture will not all stick to the apples; that's OK.
- Spread the apple mixture uniformly from center of the dough circle to within 2 inches of edge. Fold edge of dough over apple mixture; crimp edge of dough slightly.
- Mix 2 tablespoons sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and dough.
- Cut the 1 Tbsp butter into 5 or 6 small pieces; spread on top of the apples.
- Bake 27 to 32 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cut into wedges. Serve warm drizzled with caramel topping.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I make fruit crostata's often and thought I would share a tip that I found online (can't remember where). After you roll out your pie crust (I use parchment) spread 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs or cooky crumbs on the crust then put the fruit mixture on top. You will absolutely not taste the crumbs or even be able to tell they are there but they will absorb any excess juice and your crust will always be nice and crisp. I expect this would work for a two crust pie too, but I never make them anymore.
I made this for one of my friends on her birthday because she is a big apple fan. The thing is I wanted to do something different and boy, it was loved by all! I made my own homemade pie crust and caramel topping. The caramel topping takes this over the top, while some people preferred it all on it's own. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Yum. this was awesome. So easy to put together and had great flavor. I left out the caramel topping and really didn't think it needed anything. Ice cream would be good on the side too. I used a 9 inch premade pie crust (lazy) and it worked well with 3 1/2 cups apples. Thanks newspapergal for a keeper.
Wonderful recipie, and wonderful idea. It makes a nice small pie. I like stuff for a day or two, but with only two of us, a whole big pie lingers. This is so good it sometimes doesn't last till the next day! I got some gorgeous, huge Fuji apples and only used two. I made one and had to turn around and use the other crust and make another. Just too easy!