Apple Cream Pennies
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 300° F degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, soda and salt.
- Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Set aside.
- Blend sugars in a large bowl using an electric mixer set at medium speed.
- Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and blend at low speed until just combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Shape dough into marble-sized balls.
- Place balls on ungreased baking sheets, 1 inch apart.
- Bake 10-11 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Transfer cookies to a cool flat surface with a spatula.
- TO PREPARE THE FILLING: Blend cream cheese and sugar in medium bowl.
- with an electric mixer on medium until fluffy.
- Add apple butter and beat until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- With a small knife spread 1 teaspoonful of apple cream on the bottom half of each cooled cookie.
- Top with another cookie to create a sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were GREAT! The dough was easy to work with and the cookies came out in perfect circles. I made some small and some slightly larger. They are really soft cookies and when they come out of the oven you have to be very delicate with them. I found that if I let them bake just slightly longer and let them cool on the cookie sheet, it is easier to remove them from the cookie sheet without ruining their circular shape. I also did not make them into little sandwitches, although I tasted them that way and they were great. Instead, I put a small dallop of the frosting on top and in the middle of each cookie. I also added more apple butter to the frosting because I felt the cream cheese was overpowerin. I did use spiced apple butter which I also suggest! Everyone who tasted these loved them and some even asked for the recipe! These are very soft and light and have a nice mellow spice flavor!!