Apple Cream Cheese Breakfast Bars
photo by Trennarene
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 fresh lemon zest
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced apples (2 Granny smith apples)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine cake mix and 1/4 tsp lemon peel in a large bowl, reserving 1/2 cup of the mixture; set aside.
- Add butter to remaining mixture and beat with electric mixer at low speed until crumbly.
- Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of ungreased 13x9 inch baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Beat cream cheese and reserved 1/2 cup cake mix in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar, beating until creamy. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Blend in half and half and vanilla, pour into baked crust.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining 1/4 tsp lemon peel in large bowl; add apples. Gently toss until evenly coated.
- Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese batter, sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely on wire rack and then cut into bars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a horrible cook if it's not out of a box or on a BBQ! I can make real mash patatoes and killer guacamole! Thats almost it!! I need all the help I can get!