Apple-Cranberry Crisp With Warm Toffee Sauce
- Ready In:
For the Toffee Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Apple Crisp
- 8 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries, cut in half
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- For toffee sauce: Measure water into a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan.
- Add sugar and butter; do not stir!
- Measure out whipping cream, set near the stove along with vanilla.
- Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil without stirring. Let bubble briskly for 5 to 7 minutes or until the sugar begins to change colour. Swirl pan gently on the unit until the colour becomes deeply golden.
- Avert your face (as hot steam rapidly rises) and near the side of the pan, pour in whipping cream. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool until lukewarm before pouring into a container; sauce thickens as it cools. (Once cooled, sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week.)
- Warm sauce in a small saucepan or briefly in the microwave before serving.
- For crisp, evenly spread fruit in a 9 x 13-inch (3-L) baking dish or pan.
- Stir brown sugar with flour and cinnamon; mix in oats. Pour in butter; stir until crumbs form and topping is evenly moistened.
- Spread over fruit and bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC) oven 40 minutes, or until fruit is soft when tested with a skewer. Crisp is delicious warm or at room temperature.
- To serve, pour about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of toffee syrup onto each serving plate, cover with a portion of the crisp and drizzle a bit more sauce over top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
OHHHH MYYY!!!!! I made for 2 and 4 would have enjoyed and been very pleased. I made the toffee topping in the microwave for about 4 minutes stopping to check it almost every minute. I spilt maybe almost 1/2 the cream. So I added only 1/8 of a cup. I must say I burnt my mouth tasting it!!!! But it was yummy so I just left it. I used 1 1/2 apples granny and a red of some sort. This was soo SO SOOO GOOD! A must make! I made for ZWT 6. Thanks for the wonderful eats!!!