Apple Cobbler With Sweet Biscuit Crust
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 cups sliced peeled apples
Sweet Biscuit Crust
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For easier cleanup, spray a 2-quart dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon.
- Slowly add water, stirring constantly.
- While continuing to stir, bring to a boil.
- Add lemon juice, butter and apples.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- To prepare the biscuit crust, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine the milk and egg, add to dry ingredients, stirring with a fork until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured board and knead 7 times.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness, cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter.
- Pour the cooked apple mixture into prepared dish, top with biscuits and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Join The Conversation
This was delicious. I've never made biscuits from scratch before so I didn't have a biscuit cutter so I used an empty diced tomato can. They came out great! My husband is a cobbler addict said he likes regular cobbler better but I am so tired of regular cobbler. This will definatley be made again. It has also given me the confidence to try making regular biscuits from scratch.
Just wonderful! I seen this recipe in the cooking photo forum and right than I knew I had to make it. I added a dash or two of cloves to the apple mixture and than added more crumbs around the biscuits to cover my dish of apples before I baked it. Served vanilla bean ice cream on top. It was very good! Thanks for a wonderful dessert!