Apple-Cinnamon Crumble Pie
photo by amid9603
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 prepared unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
- 3 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour (use semi-heaping tablespoons)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Set oven to 400 degrees F (oven rack set to lowest position).
- Prepare a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate.
- Fit the pastry into the pie plate and flute edges.
- For the filling; mix together all ingredients making sure that the apples are coated well; set aside.
- For the topping; in a processor blend first 5 ingredients; Add in cold butter pieces and process using on/off turns until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Toss the filling ingredients again to redistribute the juices, then transfer to the prepared pie shell, mounding the apple filling in the center
- Using your hands pack topping over and around the apples.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degreesF for about 35 minutes or until topping is golden (cover with foil if topping is browning too quickly).
- After 40 minutes REDUCE the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake until apples in the center are fork-tender and the filling is bubbling thickly at edges (about 30 minutes longer).
- Cool until warm (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Serve with ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!