- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups peeled diced cooking apples
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cream ½ cup butter, gradually adding sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk; add to batter, mixing well.
- Stir in flour.
- Add vanilla, and stir well.
- Stir in apples, walnuts and raisins.
- Spoon into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
- Drizzle melted butter over loaves.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; stir well, and sprinkle over loaves.
- Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; turn out on wire rack.
Join The Conversation
I needed to ammend my prior review. This was as I mentioned in my first review is a flavorful recipe. I liked the brown sugar/cinnamon top. The top does crumble a bit when I try to cut it, but to minimize that I turn it to the side and slice it. This is a dense cake, very good for breakfast,with coffee, or just a snack with a glass of milk. I did omit the nuts. I have made it 3 times this week. I just felt that my first review made it appear that it wasnt a good recipe, but my husband and neighbor loved it...Thanks for the recipe.
This is a moist and flavorful loaf. The apple lends just the right amount of sweetness to its taste. I prepared in only one 8 1/2 x 5" loaf pan which was ample the this amount of batter, and baked for about 50 minutes. I did omit the 1/2 of raisins only because I did not have any on hand. I loved the brown sugar & cinnamon topping! Thanks for sharing, Suzanne!