Apple Bran Muffins
This is a nice change from a plain bran muffin. It's somewhat healthier, because it's made with yogurt. I always double the cinnamon sugar on top (personal preference). Sometimes I add some chopped pecans (or walnuts). Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you - these come together fast.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I use vanilla, it's what I have in the fridge)
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1 apple, unpeeled & chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400*. Mix flours, bran, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda & salt together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar and oil. Stir in the yogurt, apple juice & apple.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just moistened.
- Spoon into greased (I use cooking spray) muffin tins, filling each to the top.
- TOPPING: Mix together & sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake @ 400* for 18-20 minutes until firm to touch.